Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wedding

My white dress spilled over the chair as I sat in the secluded room. Lightened by the single window in the room that wouldn’t open, providing no escape, not that I would escape. I twirled the silver band that caressed my finger. What was I doing? I reached up to feel what I though would be my wet cheek, damp from tears but my dry face was free of any emotion.



A rustle of girls fell into the room wearing matching short dresses and carrying flowers, they put their arms around me and guided me from my sanctuary. The stone halls were cold on my bare feet and seemed to never end. For this I was thankful. The delicate fabric of my dress slide along the stone, reluctantly but loyally it dragged along with me. The bumbling and pushing of the girls around me put me off balance but there were so many arms surrounding me that I couldn’t fall even if I wanted to. And I wanted to. I turned to my closest sister.



“Where are we going?”



She laughed as If I was joking, but quickly swallowed her smirk and looked at me with wide eyes. I knew where we were going, but it was unclear who would be there. I knew the face in my head well but the name had slipped away with my own emotions.



“Who?” I asked as flowers were shoved into my shaking arms.



“Well…” She answered as if this was some sort of joke “His name is Michael, silly”

Michael…My mind had refused to tell me how I had ended up sitting in that room, looking at the world through a veil. It had some how worked it out that this is what I had to do.



We reached the end at last and my father greeted, obviously proud of this decision. There was no embrace, maybe there was but I didn’t remember. Slowly the girls disappeared, one at a time and then my father’s arm were linked in mine. My frozen feet were torn from their ground as I walked down an unfortunately short isle.



I saw the image of Michael through my frosted eyes; he stood tall at the end, and his blonde hair the only feature I could make out. I thought his hair was black? He was suddenly taking my hand and words were mumbled from every direction. His hands were as cold as the stone I had glided down, I looked up, hoping to get an expression but I couldn’t see well enough through the foggy veil. Michael must have noticed because he lifted the veil over my eyes and I could see. His face lit up with a smile. But something struck me as wrong.



“If there is anyone that has a reason why this couple should not wed, speak now or-“



“I do” the words escaped my lips before I could fight them back.



“Its not time for that part yet” the priest whispered at me, Michael lifted an eyebrow.



“No, I mean… I do have a reason. Well I don’t…but I don’t have a reason why we should either.” The words had come to my rescue but the priest didn’t look satisfied with this answer. I assumed there was a disapproving crowed in front of me, friends and family coming to watch me seal my fate. But, I didn’t look. I didn’t want to know. I didn’t want to look down to my father to see his hurt look. He had obviously approved the match.



The priest looked confused as to what to do next. Michael had not released my hands I looked up and his expression matched the priests. I didn’t want to hurt him but I couldn’t see how it would matter much, did I even know him? Yes. I did. I didn’t remember how I ended up with him. How I ended up here. How long have we been dating? What happened? I was irritated with myself, angry for the loss of memory.



A feather sat in his tux pocket, giving me a small amount of comfort. He caressed my hand, trying to calm me without words. I looked back down to my ring. I had agreed to this.





“Forgive me Michael” I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek then made my escape. I rain through the isle that seemed a lot longer then before and the doors opened. The scene disappeared into mist. I was soaking wet in the rain. But every drop was welcomed.



“Why?” I heard Micheael's voice behind me. Guilt hit me hard but I still had no memories of our relationship.



“Because I don’t love you”



If he was crying I wouldn’t be able to tell. The rain had picked up and was falling hard. He looked angry though. I had a sudden vision of familiarity; I was more comfortable with this. I welcomed the fear. He pulled out a weapon from his coat and I smiled.



“I loved you” He spat



“No you didn’t,” I said without any pang of emotion though he looked confused. I was glad to see he was handling it like a child, like someone I was glad I didn’t marry.



“Why?” he shouted



“Because.” I threw my flowers to the ground and gently felt his hand for the knife. “This is a dream”



I don’t remember the usual fight to the death, or running.



“That’s clichĂ©,” I said taking the blade and throwing it into the void. Thinking of all the TV shows of the broken-hearted murdering the clumsy person that held there hearts so carelessly.

I decided since it was my dream I could make anything happen, but that was not the case, harder I tried to change things about the dream the closer I came to waking up. I continued to try to change things until my eyes fluttered open with the dream perfectly clear in my head for a change. I fell back asleep only to be met with an unfamiliar frustrating dream. Only I was unaware of the case…

No comments:

Post a Comment